Implementing the Common Core Standards (ICCS)
The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort to establish a common set of clear educational standards for English-language arts and mathematics that states can share and voluntarily adopt. The standards have been informed by the highest state, national and international standards. A diverse group of teachers, experts, parents, and school administrators designed the standards to prepare students graduating from high school for college or the workforce.
Through the Common Core State Standards work, the Council of Chief State School Officers and the National Governors’ Association want to make sure that every child across the country learns the skills and knowledge they need to succeed so that they can compete with not only their peers at home but also with students from around the world. High standards that are consistent across states provide teachers, parents, and students with a set of clear expectations and help ensure that students obtain the requisite skills and knowledge needed for success.
The Common Core State Standards are a fundamental first step toward ensuring that children receive the best possible education no matter where they live across the country.
CCSSO convenes a collaborative of interested states to work within state teams, across states, and with national experts to discuss and share concrete resources and strategies to meet the challenges and leverage the opportunities presented by Implementing the Common Core State Standards (ICCS).
The ICCS collaborative meets four times annually, with frequent interaction between meetings.
2014-15 ICCS Program
The 2013-2014 ICCS program offers state Common Core implementation teams access to coaching and mentorship from former state leaders, access to an online network to share resources with all states, attendance at an annual summit as a cross-agency team, attendance at a series of focused topical meetings, and input into CCSSO's ongoing webinar series and tool development to support Common Core implementation.
The members for the current program year are: Alabama, American Samoa, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, DoDEA, Hawaii, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, New Jersey, New Hampshire, New Hampshire Districts, Nevada, Oregon, South Dakota, US Virgin Islands, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin
2014-15 Business Partners:
AIR, NEA, NWEA, School Improvement Network
- ProgramThe Common Core State Standards Initiative (CCSSI)
- VideoCommon Core Implementation Video Series
- PublicationCommon Core State Standards: Implementation Tools and Resources
- WebinarMathematics Common Core Standards and the Concept of Focus
- Scott Norton to Lead CCSSO Standards, Assessment and Accountability Work
- WebinarCCSSO Webinar: One Percent Assessment Consortia and the Common Core
- PublicationCommon Core State Standards: State Spotlights
- WebinarCommon Core Webinar Series
- PublicationFramework for English Language Proficiency Development Standards corresponding to the Common Core State Standards and the Next Generation Science Standards
- WebinarCCSSO Webinar: Overview of the English Language Proficiency Development Framework