Policy Statement on ESEA Reauthorization
|Publication date||March 2010|
|publication pdf||2010 Policy Statement on ESEA Reauthorization|
This policy statement presents a vision for a "new deal" to guide reauthorization of the Elementary & Secondary Education Act (ESEA). First, states must continue to lead the way with bold, thoughtful education reforms to ensure that all students graduate from high school ready for college and career. This includes developing and adopting higher, clearer, and fewer standards; improving state assessment systems; ensuring transparent, disaggregated accountability; building educationally rich data systems; strengthening teacher and leader effectiveness; and turning around underperforming schools.
In return and to succeed, we need a new federal education law that invests in these state efforts and encourages innovation, evaluation, and continuous improvement-so that states can develop and implement policies to help districts and schools dramatically improve student achievement and close achievement gaps. This brief paper presents core principles and recommendations to guide ESEA reauthorization. More detailed legislative recommendations will follow.
- PublicationPolicy Statement on School Health
- PublicationExpanded Learning Opportunities (ELO) Policy Statement
- PublicationGlobal Education Policy Statement
- PublicationChiefs’ Pocket Guide to Class Size: A Research Synthesis to Inform State Class Size Policies
- PublicationHigh School Graduation: State Policies Driving Transparency and Success