The Common Core State Standards Initiative (CCSSI)
The Common Core State Standards: Development, Adoption, and Implementation
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are a set of high quality academic expectations in English-language arts (ELA) and mathematics that define the knowledge and skills all students should master by the end of each grade level in order to be on track for success in college and career. The development of the standards was a state-led effort spearheaded by governors and school chiefs. CCSSO and the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices coordinated the development process in partnership with Achieve, ACT, and the College Board. A diverse team of teachers, parents, administrators, researchers and content experts developed the CCSS to be academically rigorous, attainable for students, and practical for teachers and districts, and an expert validation committee provided an independent review of the standards. The standards are research and evidence-based and internationally benchmarked.
Implementing the Common Core Standards (ICCS)
CCSSO is convening a collaborative of interested states to work within state teams, across states, and with national experts to discuss and share concrete resources and strategies to meet the challenges and leverage the opportunities presented by Implementing the Common Core State Standards (ICCS). Learn more about the collaborative.
- PublicationCommon Core State Standards: State Spotlights
- PublicationCommon Core State Standards: Implementation Tools and Resources
- WebinarCommon Core Webinar Series
- ProgramImplementing the Common Core Standards (ICCS)
- PublicationFramework for English Language Proficiency Development Standards corresponding to the Common Core State Standards and the Next Generation Science Standards