Surveys of Enacted Curriculum (SEC)
The Surveys of Enacted Curriculum (SEC) are a practical, reliable set of data collection tools being used with teachers of math, English language arts, science, and social studies to collect and report consistent data on current instructional practices and content being taught in classrooms. The resulting data, reported online, provide an objective method for educators to analyze the degree of alignment between current instruction and state standards and assessments. The SEC Collaborative developed the SEC tools, and continues to provide leadership, services and support to state leaders to make effective use of this unique online system.
Through the SEC Collaborative, member states are able to: obtain reliable indicators of alignment and evaluate improvement initiatives for state education agency leaders and specialists; use a data-driven improvement tool that combines instructional data and achievement data and facilitates discussion of effective practices for district leaders and teachers; and, assess needs of teachers and schools to target assistance to educators for evaluators of programs.
The SEC SCASS has operated since 1998, and has provided data services and assistance to educators in over 30 states and hundreds of schools. The SEC SCASS provides access to the data tools, organizes state alignment studies, plans multi-state research, and leads professional development.
For information on joining the SEC Collaborative and using the SEC online services here.
SEC Collaborative Advisor: Rolf Blank (email@example.com)
Rolf Blank is a CCSSO program director and leads the SEC SCASS as well as external grants to support research and development. With SEC, he directed multi-state and multi-district projects to use the SEC data tools to analyze alignment of instruction to standards and provide data-guided professional development. Blank leads CCSSO work to use data in research, evaluation and technical assistance aimed toward improving the quality of K-12 public education.
Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Ohio
Collaborative Learning, Inc.
Dana Center at Univ. of Texas-Austin
- WebsiteSurveys of Enacted Curriculum Online Tool and Data Reporting
- PublicationSurveys of Enacted Curriculum: Content & Instruction In Focus
- PublicationContent and Instruction in Focus
- PublicationHow to Use SEC Charts to Compare Common Core State Standards with prior State Standards
- WebinarWebinar: The Use of the Surveys of Enacted Curriculum (SEC) Data and Transition to the Common Core
- WebinarWebinar: Common Core State Standards for Mathematics: Shifts and Implications for Instruction
- WebinarWebinar: Language Arts Instructional Strategies for Special Education Teachers and All Teachers
- WebinarWebinar: The Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts: Shifts and Implications for ELA Instruction
- WebinarWebinar: Transition to the CCSS for Teachers of Student with Significant Cognitive Disabilities" Aligning Instruction to Standards
- WebsiteImproving Teaching and Learning Using SEC Data: Online Professional Development with CCSS