Formative Assessment for Students and Teachers (FAST)
Since 2006, the Formative Assessment for Students (FAST) SCASS has expanded the implementation of formative assessment in classrooms to positively impact teaching and learning. The FAST SCASS work has been strongly grounded in research on formative assessment practices, and has been consistently guided by national and international experts in the field.
- The FAST SCASS develops materials and resources to support the implementation of formative assessment and advocacy nation-wide.
- Most recently, with funding from the Hewlett Foundation, ETS conducted a content validity study of a formative assessment observation tool for peer-coaching and teacher self-evaluation, originally developed for the FAST SCASS by ETS, and provided training materials on its use.
Additionally, the FAST SCASS and the ASES SCASS have collaborated to develop a groundbreaking paper on formative assessment for students with disabilities, including video clips illustrating formative assessment practices in action.
In 2016-17 the FAST SCASS will continue to create resources for states' use, engage with prominent experts in the field to increase members' expertise in formative assessment, and provide a forum for members to exchange ideas and lessons learned from their states about formative assessment implementation.
Advisor: Margaret Heritage
Margaret Heritage, from the National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards and Student Testing (CRESST) at UCLA, is an internationally recognized expert on formative assessment. She has written three books and numerous papers on formative assessment, and has made presentations on the topic all over the U.S, in Europe, India and Australia.
Business Partners: ACT, Amplify, Curriculum Associates, ETS, Michigan Assessment Consortium, National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics, NEA, Northwest Evaluation Association, Pearson, Renaissance Learning, SRI, and WIDA
- ProgramNational Conference on Student Assessment (NCSA)
- ProgramEarly Childhood Education (ECE)
- ProgramEnglish Language Development Assessment (ELDA)
- ProgramEnglish Learners (EL)
- ProgramSocial Studies Assessment, Curriculum, and Instruction (SSACI)
- ProgramTechnical Issues in Large Scale Assessment (TILSA)
- PublicationAlignment and the States: Three Approaches to Aligning the National Assessment of Educational Progress with State Assessments, Other Assessments, and Standards
- PublicationLessons Learned: Implementing and Improving Comprehensive and Balanced Learning and Assessment Systems in High School - A Report for State Education Leaders - Final Report from the Delaware Enhanced Assessment Grant