Formative Assessment for Students and Teachers (FAST)
Since 2006, the Formative Assessment for Students (FAST) SCASS has expanded the implementation of formative assessment in the classroom to positively impact teaching and learning. This work focuses on advancing the thinking of states about formative assessment. The FAST SCASS develops materials and resources to support the implementation of formative assessment and advocacy nation-wide. FAST SCASS work has been strongly grounded in research on formative assessment practices and has been consistently guided by experts in the field.
Most recently, the FAST SCASS has worked with Jim Popham and Dylan Wiliam to create a paper that sets formative assessment practice in the broader context of assessment. The group has also worked with Education Testing Service to create a formative assessment observation tool for peer-coaching and teacher self-evaluation. Throughout the year, PARCC and SBAC have provided representatives with whom members have had actively engaged discussions regarding formative assessment.
In 2012-2013 the FAST SCASS will continue to develop resources to support the implementation of formative assessment across states. Members will engage with experts to advance thinking on areas of particular interest, including formative assessment in relation to the Common Core State Standards, and learn from each other with respect to states' formative assessment implementation programs.
FAST Collaborative Advisor: Margaret Heritage
Margaret Heritage, a recognized expert on formative assessment, is assistant director for professional development at the National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards and Student Testing (CRESST) at UCLA. She has written two books on formative assessment and is currently writing a third to be published by Harvard Education Press. In addition, she has written numerous papers on formative assessment and has made presentations on the topic all over the U.S, in Europe, India and Australia.
2013-14 State Members:
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, and Utah
2013-14 Associate Members:
CTB/McGraw-Hill, Measured Progress, NEA, NWEA, and Pearson
2013-14 Affiliates Members:
Michigan State University and WIDA
- PublicationLearning About Assessment: An Evaluation of a Ten-State Effort to Build Assessment Capacity in High Schools
- PublicationAssessing Students' Affect Related to Assessment for Learning
- PublicationAttributes of Effective Formative Assessment
- PublicationFormative Assessment: Examples of Practices
- PublicationLearning Progressions: Supporting Instruction and Formative Assessment
- PublicationFormative Assessment and Next-Generation Assessment Systems: Are We Losing an Opportunity?
- PublicationDistinguishing Formative Assessment from Other Educational Assessment Labels