English Language Learners (ELL)
The English language learner (ELL) SCASS constitutes the only national, sustained forum among state education agencies, researchers, and policy experts on issues of standards and assessment for English language learners. The ELL SCASS explores issues of policy implementation, particularly focusing on the connection of the standards and assessment system to state policies that affect instruction, curriculum, professional supports and leadership for ELLs. State members of the SCASS, in collaboration with co-advisors Kenji Hakuta and Martha Castellón, determine specific issues of focus.
Current areas of focus include:
1. Implementation of college and career ready standards: coordinating implementation of the Common Core State Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and the newly emerging state English language proficiency standards in statewide efforts to improve instruction for ELLs; learning from and providing input to the assessment consortia for CCSS (SBAC and PARCC) as well as the assessment consortia for ELP assessments (WIDA and ELPA21);
2. Federal policy and ESEA: understanding the current state of federal policy that underlies the reauthorization of ESEA, the ESEA flexibility waivers, and implementation of the new standards and assessments in order to improve implementation and inform long-term planning;
3. Special Education: understanding the relationships between RTI systems, instructional and intervention needs for ELLs (including Long Term English Learners), and instructional staffing for proper implementation;
4. Teacher Quality and Preparation: exploring new strategies to improve teacher preparation, professional development, and teacher evaluation systems.
5. Early Childhood Education: identifying factors that impact early childhood education and the transition to Kindergarten, especially around issues of early childhood bilingualism, cultural diversity, assessment of program quality, and the proper assessment of children's school readiness.
Face-to-face meetings, held every four months, typically involve members in the following activities:·
- Presentations by state teams to share best practices around:
- alignment of system-wide reforms to new standards and assessments
- professional development, and
- policy implementation and continuous improvement
- Updates from PARCC, SBAC regarding efforts to include ELLs, as well as other state collaborative efforts to develop next-generation ELP assessments aligned to the Common Core.
- Federal Updates on key legislation and policy initiatives.• Cross-SCASS discussions with ELA, Math, Formative Assessment, Special Education, and Early Childhood regarding ELLs.
- Briefings on up-to-date research and evaluation studies, such as the National Evaluation of Title III Supplemental Report, and policy developments.These issues are addressed on a continuous cycle by the SCASS, drawing upon the expertise of national experts and capturing the experience and expertise of SCASS members. In addition to the professional learning of members, Webex seminars are held between in-person meetings, and periodic policy implementation documents are issued to offer guidance to state practitioners.
Advisor: Kenji Hakuta
The ELL SCASS is led by Kenji Hakuta, Stanford University, a national leader in research, policy and practice regarding ELLs. Working with Stanford colleague Martha Castellón (who is Executive Director for the Understanding Language Initiative), Dr. Hakuta's guidance ensures state members, affiliate members, and business partners a place in both the national discussion and in the necessary work to follow.
2014-15 Business Partners: AIR, CTB/McGraw-Hill, ETS, Measured Progress, NCEO, MetriTech, Inc., and Questar
2014-15 Affiliates Members: NCEO and WIDA
- ProgramNational Conference on Student Assessment (NCSA)
- ProgramEarly Childhood Education Assessment (ECEA)
- ProgramEnglish Language Development Assessment (ELDA)
- ProgramFormative Assessment for Students and Teachers (FAST)
- ProgramSocial Studies Assessment, Curriculum, and Instruction (SSACI)
- ProgramTechnical Issues in Large Scale Assessment (TILSA)
- PublicationAlignment and the States: Three Approaches to Aligning the National Assessment of Educational Progress with State Assessments, Other Assessments, and Standards
- PublicationLessons Learned: Implementing and Improving Comprehensive and Balanced Learning and Assessment Systems in High School - A Report for State Education Leaders - Final Report from the Delaware Enhanced Assessment Grant