Early Childhood Education Assessment (ECEA)
In 2016-17, ECEA-SCASS will support participating states on issues and challenges including the following:
- Supporting chief state school officers and their SEAs in implementing recommendations of the Council's Equity Starts Early policy framework including strengthening family and community engagement, connecting early childhood programs and elementary schools, accelerating improvement in early childhood programs, building a high performing workforce and increasing investment in high quality early childhood programs.
- Addressing early childhood mandates and opportunities as SEAs develop state plans for the Every Student Succeeds Act, including use of ESSA funding to expand and improve early childhood programs, linking efforts to build a highly effective early childhood and K-12 workforce and engaging early childhood leaders and experts in the ESSA planning process.
- Building state capacity to improve children's literacy and language development across the PreK-3rd grade years through a new partnership with the English Language Arts (ELA) SCASS and the Council's Implementation College and Career Standards (ICCS) Early Literacy Workgroup. The partnership will enable cross-state efforts on grade level reading initiatives, PreK-3rd grade formative and diagnostic literacy assessments, and how SEAs should lead efforts to implement PreK-3rd grade standards for students and pedagogy/classroom quality. Activities will include a joint meeting of SEA Chief Academic Officers, literacy and language arts specialists and early childhood program leaders, webinars on topics of shared interest and a resource summarizing shared learning across the workgroups.
Advisor: Thomas Schultz
Tom is Project Director for Early Childhood Initiatives at CCSSO and has worked on early childhood research and policy issues at the Office of Head Start, the Pew Charitable Trusts and the National Association of State Boards of Education. He has written numerous reports, book chapters and articles on early childhood policy and practice and presents frequently at national, regional and state meetings and conferences.
Business Partners: Data Recognition Corporation, SRI, and WIDA
- ProgramNational Conference on Student Assessment (NCSA)
- ProgramEnglish Language Development Assessment (ELDA)
- ProgramEnglish Language Learners (ELL)
- ProgramFormative Assessment for Students and Teachers (FAST)
- ProgramSocial Studies Assessment, Curriculum, and Instruction (SSACI)
- ProgramTechnical Issues in Large Scale Assessment (TILSA)
- PublicationAlignment and the States: Three Approaches to Aligning the National Assessment of Educational Progress with State Assessments, Other Assessments, and Standards
- PublicationLessons Learned: Implementing and Improving Comprehensive and Balanced Learning and Assessment Systems in High School - A Report for State Education Leaders - Final Report from the Delaware Enhanced Assessment Grant