Print this Page

News Brief

05/05/14

TEA Details New Teacher Evaluation, Support System

BigCountryHomepage.com (Texas) (05/05/14)

The Texas Education Agency has submitted details of a new teacher evaluation and support system to the U.S. Department of Education to meet its No Child Left Behind waiver requirements. As many as 72 school districts and charters statewide will pilot the Teacher Evaluation and Support System during the 2014-15 school year, and they will provide feedback to strengthen the final system the state plans to offer to all districts during the 2015-16 school year. According to State Education Commissioner Michael Williams, "The Teacher Evaluation and Support System is designed to be a more effective evaluative tool to support the most important adult in Texas education -- the teacher at the front of every child's classroom. The bulk of this appraisal system heavily tilts toward what's really taking place in the classroom and are methods some of our best school districts in Texas are already using." The new Teacher Evaluation and Support System will base 80 percent of its evaluation on rubric-based elements that focus on planning, instruction, the learning environment, and professional responsibilities. The other 20 percent of the evaluation will be based on a student growth measure at the individual teacher level that will be included in a value-add score, though this will only apply to some teachers. Local districts will be able to select other options to use for evaluating those teachers for whom the value-add score does not apply.
To read the full article, click here 

This news brief was summarized for Chiefline, CCSSO's weekly newsletter. Click here to receive Chiefline in your inbox weekly. Newsbrief Copyright 2014 INFORMATION, INC